Technical Duckery

Saturday, September 23, 2006

An Odd Race Report

I won an age group today at the first 5K of the season for the Northshore. It was the Great Wake Up Race in Abita Springs. (1/2 mile from the brewery.) More than 150 participants showed up for the run. My time was 23:20, which is one of my slower times, but since the race didn't start until 9:00, it was probably hotter than 80 degrees and very humid. Everyone was rolling back their expectations by at least 1:00.

So that's the summary of the morning's results. But I heard something shocking and hard to accept on the way home. You see, I beat my Dad for the second (or third, I can't remember) consecutive 5K. And I don't mean finish at the same time. I was ahead from the bell. That led him to say the following statement:
I guess the days of me beating you in races is over.
I guess I should have seen it coming, but that's an odd feeling. I've been either catching up to or running with my Dad for 9 years. The thing is, I'm not getting any younger, he's getting older. I was feeling a little scared and sad when that hit me. In a second, time was rushing very fast. I know that he will beat me again in a race. He's just too dedicated and too fast. But at one moment, I realized he is a grandfather just like my grandfather was. The best way I can say it is that it is still a little odd.

1 Comments:

  • I know exactly the feeling you're talking about... it is an uneasy, scary feeling.

    Don't know what to say other than that... but to say I understand what you were thinking then.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home