Technical Duckery

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Harsh Reality of Education

I admit that this post is yet another blog post that allows me to rant about the few bad things in my extremely enjoyable life. I realize that makes me petty and self-absorbed. So here's my ran about why the beginning of the fall semester at LSU blows:

1) There are too damn many people. Everywhere I go, it is packed. You would expect that there would be some sort of accomodation for this... Instead, there are lines, no parking spots, and constant loud noise.

2) All of those people crowding the halls will keep the URec completely unusable for the first three weeks of class. They will then disappear. That means I will be pissed off every morning I come to school for three weeks when I can't park there, run there, or punch things (that I won't get arrested for punching) there.

3) I have an instructor that quized me on the syllabus that he had not handed out yet. When I was slightly off, he stated that it had been on the web for weeks. (Nevermind that I had read it, just not studied it. It's a syllabus for Pete's sake.) Why does this aggrivate me? My other professor to date has not handed out or posted a syllabus. Trust me when I say that in Computer Science graduate school the latter is standard practice.

4) I still don't have a solid TA assignment. As it stood this morning, I was given a choice: (1) Instruct a lab, but come to school 5 days a week. (2) Grade papers and come to school only 2 days a week, but miss cruise to Mexico. I have been dealing with this since 8:00 AM, it is now almost 3:00.

Thanks for letting me get that out. I have just been so stressed with finishing my research lab duties, school, and home that I've seriously thought about shaving my head. I don't know what I thought it would solve, it just seemed like the most logical solution...

2 Comments:

  • I did it once. Shave my head, that is. It actually solved many of my problems. People expect less out of you, and they are more intimidated by you so they leave you alone. I highly recommend it. Caveat: Mom and Dad probably don't agree.

    Billy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:27 PM  

  • Leave it to the lawyer to use Latin. (Props to ya' for it though.)
    I don't know about the head shaving, but a 2 day week sure sounds nice.
    Hope your Friday goes well!

    Luke

    By Blogger Luke, at 9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home