Technical Duckery

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Latest Web Design

Well I've done another website.

I hate doing them. I really do. I don't find the process interesting or challenging at all. I might if I used the design as some sort of creative expression, but I don't. However, I have experience and that usually means that I am obligated to do web siites for groups and organizations that I am affiliated with. I don't mind that much since it gives me an opportunity to contribute where others have need. So anyway, Dr. Carver asked for a redesigned site for our research group and I actually got fairly excited about the chance to help give the group a new image. To show the new site, I want to start with what we were going from:

(site viewable here)

We wanted to add 3 things to this site.
  1. A modern look and feel
  2. A display of our affiliation to LSU
  3. A sense of "activity" to our lab
To add #1, we simply used the now standard fonts, more images, and more acceptable design principles.

To add #2, we used the web templates provided by LSU as the basis for the design. Now, by web templates I do not mean prefabricated sites. They provide a few images, the logos, and accepted colors for use on LSU sites. For more info, see http://www.lsu.edu/pa/identity/web.html. I actually spent considerable time improving the template's footer to make it transparet to the background image.

#3 we are still working on. It may take more reliable updating and constantly adding new images.

So here are the fruits of our labors:

(viewable live on http://selab.csc.lsu.edu)

While this isn't the most impressive site I've built, I think it is a considerable improvement and meets the criteria we set for it. You can even see the new logo treatment in the top left corner. Hope you enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home