Technical Duckery

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

State~by~State Project

My project for The Team Advertising is almost done!

This project has been a thorn in my side for almost an entire year. I originally thought it would be a month of work. However, a simple automation project turned into a multi-phase complete redesign. The first implementation of this project was just a simple database backend to the old site:


I wasn't extremely happy about putting my name on any site that was lime green and pink, but the project would have saved The Team thousands of dollars. To view the old site in action, see http://vagardener.com. That may only be the old site for a day or two after publishing this post.

We went through an initial redesign when my contact wanted a new bookstore, a reader poll, and a few nice features added. This project was completed September 2005. That's when my contact left the company. When a new person was assigned to the project, all work was essentially scrapped and massive delays started happening. Eventually, I was able to implement this design:


To view the new sites in action, go to http://alabamagardener.com.

This has been a lesson learned for me. After this site, I am going to remain focused on the projects I already have. Nothing was worse than having mountains of school work and a side project always being on my back burner. Whenever I got free time, it had already been assigned to this project. From now on, work is graduate school.

4 Comments:

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:29 PM  

  • That is hilarious. Who in the heck is leaving the posts?

    -whb

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:16 PM  

  • Beats me, I can't even see the original post.

    For what it's worth, the new site looks great.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:06 PM  

  • Johnny, you did an awesome job with the sites. I know it took forever to have them get everything together. Through it all though, you did an excellent job and you should be very proud of the great job that you did.

    By Blogger Natasha Provost Burris, at 3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home