Technical Duckery

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Supporting Our Troops

Yes it's the cliche of the times, but hearing it this morning during my commute inspired some thought. To tell the truth, I would really prefer that I never even hear it again because it is basicaly meaningless. It has become the backup for people who are against the Iraq War. Something to make people think that they aren't that much of a pacifist. So here's what I want to explore in this post: Is it even possible to support our troops when you are against the war?

To answer this question, I had to separate the types of people who are against the war. Some of these categories are people that I respect while others I regard as lunatics. The categories are:
  1. Those who are against all war. These are true pacifists who believe peace can not be gained through war.
  2. Those who are against the principles of this war and think that it is completely unjustified.
  3. Those who believe that the war is justified and has a chance of success, but disagree with the manner in which it was started and subsequently conducted.
I lack respect for the people in the first category. The true pacifists who see the world through their rose-colored glasses. They sit in the New York apartments and can't believe why people in the Middle East would be so upset if it hadn't been for something we have done. Their Pollyanna view of human nature lacks sensibility, reason, and realism. I can not believe that people in this category can truly support our troops. I can't get past the analogy that if the same people are against the death penalty, they wouldn't open conversations on the matter with, "I support our executioners". To hear someone who is so against violence say that they support someone who's profession and sworn duty is to perform war when called is very hypocritical to me.

The second category has me doubting myself. My "gut feeling" is to think that people in this category are also wrong to use the phrase "support our troops". However, people in this category aren't against the profession of a soldier. They see the need for a standing military that can protect our nation. They are grateful for those who served in the wars of this nation that established and protected our freedom. It is just this war that has them bothered. They see this war as a waste of good and valuable men. I can respect that position. I see that position as supportive of our troops without the support of this war. The people who are the most outspoken members of this group is what makes me think that it is wrong. Senator Kerry and Representative Murtha are both claiming to support our troops, but at the same time are undermining their efforts. I'm not claiming that "cut and run" is somehow harming our troops. Instead, I am saying that past statements regarding the actions of United States soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan do harm our troops. A person of good conscience can not say that the U.S. Armed Forces are villains and terrorists to prelude the phrase "but I support our troops".

The final category I truly respect. I heard former Secretary Madeline Albright comment about the Iraq War and she truly made me feel that we could have carried out the war better. I have always felt that way, but maintain that war was necessary. To these people who think that we should not be sending our soldiers into war so quickly, who think that we are sacrificing the soldier instead of seeking a solution, who believe that some good can come from their sacrifice: I promise not to wince when I hear that phrase. I truly believe that your heart is with our soldiers.

I tried to limit my categorizations of public figures. I think that the explanations can adequately describe most people who criticise the Iraq War. I also think it would be an interesting subject to discuss which categories of those people who support the war also really support our troops. Feel free to comment with disagreements, hurrahs, or friendly suggestions that I shouldn't rant about politics on my blog.

2 Comments:

  • Well, this should be interesting. Usually I am a little less harsh than Johnny on these things, but lets see if I can remember them in order.

    1. WAKE UP!!! In some rare instances, the cliche' "kill or be killed" is actually true. With most of these guys...its true. (e.g. Hussein, Ahmadinejahd, Kim Jong-il, i.e. pot-bellied, dog-eating, dictator for all you el-Rushbo fans.) (I swear no more hyphens.)

    2. Needs to get their heads out of their butts, or see #1.

    3. Depends on the individual and their reasons, and whether they know what they are talking about or they are saying it to avail confrontation.

    Billy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:57 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home