Technical Duckery

Monday, October 09, 2006

Three paragraphs

Remember in high school... English I... We learned that precious method of expression otherwise known as the three paragraph report. I still use it frequently. It's the perfect way to organize ideas and to have them read and understood.

It starts with an introduction. A simple blurb about what they hell you are talking about and why the hell you need to say it. It puts everyone on the same, single page.

The next three paragraphs are the epitome of information transmission. If you can't come up with three main points or a paragraph to explain them, then you chose the wrong subject. You get a C for not knowing what the heck you are talking about. If you add an extra point or take a second page, then you are blabbing. The teacher won't even read it... just give you a C.

A conclusion to reiterate what points you made to really sync up with the reader.

I really wish all human communication was like that. On paper, organized, and meaningful. In one day, I've been frustrated with large amounts of irrelevant data, angered by missing data, and confused by disorganized information. For an entire day, I've been on the wrong page of a different book that hasn't been written yet. Perhaps I should require that all information be passed to me in the form of three paragraphs reports...

A guy can dream.

2 Comments:

  • Here, here! I'll send a three-paragraph essay to my congressman touting the benefits of the three-paragraph essay. Maybe we can get a law passed.

    By Blogger Katie, at 6:50 AM  

  • Excellent comment, Billy. You wrote exactly what I would have written had I made it here before you.

    In the interest of controversy, I might suggest that you consider the 3 paragraph rule for your own blog. Any post beginning with the word "Unconstitutional" should be kept to a strict 3 point minimum.

    Maybe that'll stoke a few comments.

    Luke

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home