Technical Duckery

Friday, July 18, 2008

Dr. J. V. Remsen, Jr., Great Scientist

I just wanted to make a public note that LSU has a truly great ornithologist working for them. Dr. James Remsen responded immediately to an email inquiry about a large woodpecker I had been observing in my yard for the past few weeks. I had heard news about the infamous Ivory-billed Woodpecker being spotted in Pearl River WMA and thought that this may be a sighting, but that it was probably a more common Pileated Woodpecker. I gave him as much detail as possible and he was able to confirm it was a Pileated.

The point of this is to say that this person is a "baller" at LSU and in the ornithology world. Maybe it would be better to say that he is regarded highly in academic circles. Regardless, he took the time to respond personally to me. I think that's the kind of scientist I want to be. I want to be a scientists who embraces the larger community and is an ambassador for my field.

Dr. Remson, I salute you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home